Saturday Hill Repeats will be a go; by 8 am the chance for maybe one tenth of an inch should be over. So we’ll give it a go and if it is rainy you’ll be doing hill repeats.
2/9/21 TUESDAY. TEMPO. After the usual warm-up mile and 6 x 10″ quick cadence pick-ups do:
8′ (4′) – 6′ (3′) – 4′ (2′) – 4′ (2′). First two run at 10K race pace, second two at 5K race pace.
2/10/21 WEDNESDAY. STRENGTH DAY. Includes variation on squats with the quarter squat for upper leg strength, leg speed and easier on knees.
- X10 Swings – X8 KB Good Mornings ( for spine muscle strength. Hold a DB/KB close to chest, keep arch in your back while bending forward at the waist to above waist height and come back up; keep legs slightly bent at the knees. A good supplemental exercise for the back)
- X10 Swings – X12 Leg Raises ( keep low back touching the ground; if difficult bend your legs at the knees slightly which shortens the lever arm)
- X15 Swings – X 1 DBL Heavy KB Clean to Rack, do 8-10 quarter squats. ( gives alternative by being easier on knees and back yet builds run power and explosive speed by building upper quads. It mirrors hum position and about same position of legs for swings)
- X10 Swings – X5 R/L Half Kneeling Presses ( a variation that helps eliminate “Body English” and build strength with your presses)
- X10 Swings – 1′ Weighted Plank
- X15 Swings – X8 KB Deficit Deadlifts
- X10 Swings – X6 PVC pipe or broomstick O’Head Squats with pause at bottom ( as you descend move shoulders back if needed to keep the bar over your spine; takes shoulder mobility).
- X15 Swings – 2-part Gorilla Rows: A. X6 DBL KB/DB Rows: both arms lifting at the same time, B. X6 R/L Alt Rows from ground with hold (a 1000-1 count) at top of lift.
You’ll be learning the “Good Mornings” which is another exercise for back strength.The quarter squats are perfectly acceptable for building leg strength and jumping power, or if you have compromised knees and must avoid deep squats.
2/11/21 THURSDAY. SPEED-WORK. Rain arrives in the afternoon, so you should be okay for the workout. Warm-up run, 6 x 10″ quick pick-ups, then:
10 x 2′ (2′) …..building on the number of equivalent 400’s. If you run them at 6 minute pace; run each 400 at 1:30; at 8′ pace is two minutes and so forth.
2/13/21 SATURDAY. HILL REPEATS/XT/Loaded Carries, Trap Bar lifts. 8 am. At Seminary College off Seminary Drive in Mill Valley/Strawberry area. Arrive early to park near the college entrance and do your warm-up run.
I added an addition to our third board which focuses on the Loaded Carries, sprints for leg speed, some swings and the addition of “bottom-up kettlebell carries” at the rack position.This Carry tests and develops grip strength, something we all lose with the aging process. It’s remarkable how the instructors and kettlebell enthusiasts can do the Get Up movement while holding the kettlebell in the bottom-up position! It’s also for shoulder health to do light bottom-up presses; takes focus too.