UPDATE 12/9/20: Change has been constant all year; it continues this week with more restrictive COVID policies going into place Tuesday. However, with our group of less than twelve attending the SATURDAY HR//XT/Loaded Carries, that we are outdoors, are well spaced and wear masks; we can safely continue. Let’s see how the weather will be for Saturday.
I will continue with the Wednesday outdoor workouts with groups of two people at 7:30, 8, 8:30 and 9 am.
The Christmas Kettlebell Swing Challenge continues this week with the daily routine of increasing kettlebell swings until Christmas day. ( see last week’s blog for the week’s sets and reps. ). I will be posting the rest of the month soon and tips for getting through the Challenge. The idea is to learn how to get in the daily reps – and keep it going! Each person will learn how to manage their energy and time to get this done during busy season.
12/8/20 TUESDAY. TEMPO day. After the warm-up mile or so get in 4 sets of 5 minute tempo pick-ups at 5K effort.
12/9/20 WEDNESDAY. STRENGTH day and the routine for this week. Keeping with your daily routine of 25 (Novice) or 55 reps (Regular kettlebell practitioners) for Wednesday, you’ll see I’ve added some exercises to this day’s program.
X 10 Swings – X 5 R/L “Thread the Needle” or “Lunge Torso Rotations”
X 10 Swings – X 6 Deficit KB Sumo Deadlift
X 10 Swings – X 8-10 Push-Ups (on the ground, on DB’s, or on incline)
X 10 Swings – X5 Goblet Squats (with good pause at bottom with butt at 6 O’clock)
X 5 Swings (with heavier KB) – X 8 L. Muay Thai Side Planks
X 5 Swings ” – X 8 R. Muay Thai Side Planks
X 5 Swings ” – 1′ Weighted Plank
Finish with 2 x 3 reps of Trap Bar Deadlift or DBL KB or DB Sumo DL
12/10/20 THURSDAY. SPEED-WORK. After a good warm-up run and 6 x 10″ quick cadence sprints prior to running:
8 x 45″ (1:30).
12/12/20 SATURDAY. 8 am. HILL REPEATS/XT/LOADED CARRIES, at Seminary College, off Seminary Drive. Arrive early to get in warm-up run. ( we’ll see what the weather holds for us by Friday to see if it is a go).
CHRISTMAS KETTLEBELL SWING CHALLENGE
DATE NOVICE REGULAR
Monday, 12/7/20 20 reps 50 reps
Tuesday, 12/8/20 20 55
Wednesday, 12/9/20 25 55 ( see Wed workout above for the “extra”)
Thursday, 12/10/20 25 60
Friday, 12/11/20 25 60
Saturday, 12/12/20 30 65
Sunday, 12/13/20 30 65
Monday, 12/14/20 30 70……………
Break out with e
- The goal is to get in a single exercise daily routine – during the busiest month of the year. If you can schedule it in, get it done every day; the rest of the year will be easier.
- You’ll learn a great deal about yourself: the time that works best for you, figuring out the combination of sets and reps so you can keep the daily workout going, add your foam roller work after the session or later in the day on your backside to take care of the back, hamstring and butt muscles – and be ready for the next day.
- Vary the sets and reps to get job done as needed in order to maintain proper form. Don’t let your technique sway from a strong explosive movement with strong short exhale with tongue behind pursed lips, coming to a “vertical plank” position with knees locked, butt cheeks squeezed tight, abs tight, arms locked straight at shoulder level while squeezing your forearms and crushing the kettlebell handle. The KB should pass through at knee height; no lower so you work on your “hip hinge” and avoid doing a squat. The Swing is not a Squat, and the Squat is not a Swing.“
- Prior to the day’s set of swings, do your strap shoulder warm-up, some light slow-paced goblet squats, hip raises and halos.
- If sets of 10, 15, or 20 reps become too much on a given day; do part of the workout with sets of five reps.